Friday, October 29, 2010

First Group Meeting....slow starting

A few weeks ago we hosted our first 'open' meeting, and I feel like despite the showing, it was a really good meeting. We were able to talk about life, what we're up to and ask questions about various design-related items.

One thing I found interesting was the website. It is something everyone is 'supposed' to have in order to promote themselves, but to me its surprising how few professionals actually have one and keep it updated. It is even more interesting that as designers, many are using website hosting interfaces, such as "carbonmade" and "cargocollective" instead of starting the programming from scratch. I personally find this very helpful as I have very little knowledge in the website field....but I think it is also a discussion of time and how little people have to spend on programming their own site. We spend more time on actually doing the work then on posting it on-line, which in a way is how it should be as long as the viewer can see what you've been working on and see it in a clear format..

I am now looking forward to our next meeting (which is Monday, November 1, 2010 @7) in which I have a little project for my sister's wedding I want to work on as well as would like to discuss further some TED lectures that Alison and myself saw the past weekend....hope to see more people out!

No comments:

Post a Comment